Friday, May 8, 2009

Welcome to “Show and Tell Friday!” Do you have something special to share with us? It could be a trinket from grade school, a piece of jewelry, or a treasured collection. Look around your closet if you have to share! Share photos and the story that goes with your special item.

Visit http://www.kellishouse.blogspot.com/ for more Show & Tell sharing!

I have the sweetest Mother-in-Law who shares my love of old and beautiful things. On one of my first trips to Port Elizabeth, she took P and I to an auction. It was in an old church hall, and everything for sale belonged to an eccentric old man who had passed on, but who had collected ALL SORTS of things during his long and colourful life! There were paintings under his bed, all kinds of jewellery, china ... you name it, he had it. We wandered around looking at all the items on sale (B was looking for paintings in particular) and P wandered off on his own looking at "boy stuff"!

While looking at the jewellery I came across a little opal and diamond ring! I really fancied that! "Come on!" said B, "let's bid on that!" I had never bid on an auction in my life before, and was quite nervous! She showed me the ropes and off I went. It wasn't very expensive and I was convinced I was going to get a bargain! I had someone at the back of the hall bid against me all the time! I was about to give up! "Just once more!" she said - it was not sounding like a huge deal to me any more! "OK!" I said, "once more!" And ... going, going gone! "Your number lady!"

"47" I said proudly! "Gone to 47!" he said! From the back of the hall I hear a voice, "Who is using my number?" MR P! He had found the ring and decided I would love it, so HE was bidding against me all the time! The auctioneer laughed like a drain! "Had I known it was your husband," he said, "I would have stopped you long ago!" Well, I haven't been to an auction in a long time, but I do LOVE my little ring, and I wear it with lots of love and pride!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lucky 47. It's beautifull. Enjoy the weekend and especialle Mother's Day. Love Shelley

Jeanette said...

What a pretty ring... and LOL what a funny story!