Thursday, September 25, 2008

Our holiday!

This has to be my favourite photograph - by someone who doesn't take good photographs often! It's of Tania on the private beach in front of the hotel and I think it's stunning!

This is Philip and I before one of the parties! Although I look a lot like "Miss Piggy", I do think it's a nice photograph!

The girls - having a giggle in the beautiful, warm ocean - heaven on earth!



Grand Baie must be one of the quaintest little villages I have ever seen. We found a restuarant right at the bay and there I had my first cocktail - Pina Colado! How beautiful to watch the little boats bobbing on the water and seeing the local fishermen gathering their tackle before heading off for the day. Our taxi driver, Shariff (400 Rupees from Club Med to the village) showed us around and took us to Emtel to buy our cell phone card. Turned out to be a good decision as we phoned home every night and still had airtime left when we came home!! Much cheaper than using our SA cards.



We went back to the hotel for lunch and spent the afternoon swimming and Philip did some wind surfing. I wasn't quite brave enough, but enjoyed the warm water nonetheless. That evening we had a 41 Club House Party which was held at the Aquarium. It was a good opportunity to catch up with old friends and make some new one. Interesting evening. Although it was drizzling ever so slightly, it was more like a mist and we stood outside chatting and laughing. The food was interesting. The Mauritian Club had arranged for street vendors to prepare the food, so it really was authentic Mauritian fare and tasted too divine! We got a lift back to Club Med afterwards to welcome our Bloem friends who had arrived earlier in the evening. Need I tell you that the evening ended up with much excitement, lots of rum and a little bit of dancing?!

The following days were spent enjoying every second of the paradise island. We swam, we went on the Hoby Cats (with skipper Philip!) and even rowed! At one point I thought we might reach the shores of Australia! We went on a sunset cruise on the glass bottomed boat and were amazed at how clear the water is and how much coral you see even from that level. Saw ONE topless bather, but that was on a private beach - sorry guys!! They were all at the Half Yearly Meeting so missed out on that one!


The formal banquet was a bit of a disappointment. Besides the fact that the zip of my brand new dress broke just as we were about to serve our starters (its was a buffet - for that price ridiculous!) I had to get a lift home and change. I was sooooo upset. I was happy to grab a taxi and go back to the hotel and Philip could have stayed behind to enjoy the evening, but he wasn't happy with that and got someone to take us home. I changed and we went back only to find that the food had been packed away!!! We paid a fortune for a plate of dessert! Anyhow, we didn't let spoil our fun and danced the night away!

Next time I will tell you about my catamaran experience!! Not to be missed!!

No comments: