Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DISASTER STRUCK!

Yesterday afternoon I receive a call from Home Affairs to say that I cannot have a passport as they have discovered that I have two ID numbers - can you imagine. I lost it completely! To cut a long story short, I had to go to the Police station and sign an affadavit, then I had to meet with the head of Home Affairs this morning. What has happened is that another woman, born on the same day as me in the same year have almost identical ID numbers, except for the last 4 digits. Home Affairs Head office in Pretoria have either misfiled our finger prints, or some other documentation which has resulted in our ID's being linked as it were. When they type in my ID number, all my information comes up correctly, but right at the bottom, it says "Duplicate ID number" and quotes hers. When you type in her number, the same thing happens.

They have agreed to give me an emergency passport which I can collect on Friday, so I can still go to Mauritius and Mr Lekakalani is personally going to deal with my case and get Pretoria to pull the files and correct whatever is wrong! Can you imagine? I thought our trip was going to have to be cancelled and I was REALLY mad!

Anyhow, alls well that ends well, and we will be leaving Jozi on the 5th as planned! Hallelujah!

No comments: