Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Trees!

I was reading an article in the Sunday Times this morning by Tina Weavind called "Tree Harder this season!"  She said that with "... a little imagination and some retail assistance, you can leave tradition behind and grow your own Christmas!"  I must be honest and say that I have seen some really crazy Christmas trees out there - why, I even have my own African tree, which I love, but it isn't as special, as our traditional Pine Tree, all laden with decorations, that have a special meaning!  Treasured over the years, received as gifts, or carefully chosen to represent an important occasion or memorable holiday!

I decided to share some of my favourite decorations - each one for its own uniqueness or the thought that went behind it!


This sweet one, was a gift from my sister-in-law who lives in Melbourne, Australia! I just love the friendly faces, peeping out from Grandma's Feather bed (that's what I imagine it is!)


Low and behold, this year, she sent us a cozy fireplace, with stockings, waiting in anticipation for that long awaited for visit from Santa!


This is my latest addition, given to me by my dear friend Lesley!  Santa is sitting on a little bell, which has the clearest ring!


My New York taxi, brought back from one of his trips to the States!  My brother Rob always remembers to add something to our tree from one of his travels!  I just love the way Santa and his little elf appear to be in a hurry as the taxi speeds along!


My little straw Angel!  I bought this one when we spent our first White Christmas in Poland with Caroline and her family!  What an amazing time we had - it also reminds me of my niece when she was a tiny girl!  "I don't liiiiiiike it!"  She said.  "Why not?"  I asked.  "Because it isn't wearing any eyes!!"


Mum LOVED little birds on  her tree and they always remind me of her!  This year Rob went to London and he brought me 8, all sparkling and in different colours!  They're keeping a beedy eye upon us all, so we'd best be on our best behaviour!


Even Raggedy Anne comes to visit in her little sleigh, with her Teddy and Reindeer friend!

I love everything about Christmas!  The build up, the twinkling lights, the smell of gammon roasting in the oven and the rich smell of ginger while the cookies turn golden brown!  I love to don my Christmas apron, get my hands stuck into shortcrust pastry and bake, while listening to Bing Crosby peel out in song, dreaming of a white Christmas, or taking a quiet moment as The John McCarthy Chorous sings "Silent Night!"

I am a sucker for a traditional Christmas!  It's without a doubt, my favourite time of the year!  

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord"
St Luke 2:11

6 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I do so love the decorations you've shared. And being "Anni"...I loved your Raggedy Ann doll watching over your special tree for the season.

Thanks so much for sharing. This was a super post. Holiday traditions area always best when you share them with all.

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I am a hundred per cent traditional Christmas as well. We've just gotten a nice white ground cover, and I am feeling the Christmas cheer.

Riley Kai said...

I am so glad you are back! You have been missed! Christmas is a great time of year isn't it?! Reminds me of His promise and that everyday is a new day:-) Christmas blessing's to you and your family this holiday season!

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

We will be away for Christmas this year so we didn't put up anything. We are taking some lights to put in the tent for when we are camping though.

Unknown said...

I love your tree and how it's so personalised you and your life experiences! x

Love Bears All Things said...

This was a beautiful post...I'm a traditionalist, too and I love the stories behind the ornaments....I love that your sister sends the ones with all the names and that your brother brings you ornaments from travels.......
I think I'll share some of my own and the stories behind them.
Catching up on your posts this morning, thank you for your loyalty to my blog.
Mama Bear