Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Royal Affair!


29th July 1981 – I was doing my practical teaching at Christian Brother's College in Bloemfontein! We took 50 busy little boys aged between 6 and 9 and made them sit in the auditorium, and watch, as Diana Spencer married Prince Charles at St Paul's Cathedral! A bunch of busy little boys, far more interested in kicking a soccer ball around a dusty field than watching a young woman wearing a dress of crinkled taffeta and lace, walking down the aisle to meet her prince! Her prince, which, interestingly enough, she did not promise to "obey"! I remember loving every minute of the pomp and ceremony! Not wanting to admit that I was disappointed in her dress, or her hair – she was the ultimate princess and I was proud to be of English heritage!



29th April 2011 – I was working – HARD! So hard in fact, that I did not have time to turn my eye towards the television and glimpse! I was disappointed in not being able to put my feet up and savor every minute! I couldn't wait to get home and watch the replays, which I did, and I was NOT disappointed. Catherine looked every bit the fairy tale princess. She looked so beautiful and so … happy! Although they looked so different, somehow her dress reminded me of the Queen's, whose dress was far more than just a fashion statement. That dress represented the hope of a nation after people had been destroyed by the war. I remember reading somewhere, that even the nationality of the silk worms who spun the silk, had to be politically correct!




On looking closer, they don't look the same – and yet I see a resemblance somehow – could it be the representation of renewed hope? Or could it just be the love that radiated from the brides, because I do believe, that this time around, there is a love that was perhaps missing at the last Royal Wedding.




Whatever we believe, it was a beautiful wedding. A glorious day that brought nations of the world together … we need a few more of those occasions!

5 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I watched some of the recap...I loved her dress, so classic it could be worn in any time period...just lovely...but why was her sister wearing such sexy numbers....
Mama Bear

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I didn't get up to watch it, but, watched it later in the day. I loved every moment and found myself with tears flowing down my cheeks.

Matt's gr. 2 showed the kids some of the footage and he loved it! He can't wait for their visit this July.

cat said...

Oh I think she looked absolutely stunning

Riley Kai said...

I couldn't agree more with you. I did not get as obsessed as the rest of America, but I did find such beauty and hope in the first positive thing happening in our world, bringing nations together, in a long time. I wish we could have a Royal wedding once a month! It would make for a better world!

Unknown said...

I only watched bits of it but the UK (and the world) went crazy!!! It was lovely to watch.