1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I did a business trip doing training, starting off in PE on the Thursday morning, flew to Durban that night, worked in Durban on the Friday morning, drove to Pietermaritzburg in the afternoon and flew to Cape Town for two days! It was an exciting, although tiring experience. I got to meet people I have worked with for years in real life – very different to talking on the telephone. It was a good experience and one I hope I get to do again soon.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I am not very good at keeping resolutions. I didn’t make any new ones this year, although I have since decided it’s going to be the year of clean out! My plan is take room by room and get rid of all the junk we have accumulated over the last 12 years! Have I started yet? No!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No! I guess that’s a good thing as everyone of childbearing age close to me are too young to become Mum’s – plenty of time for that!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We were very blessed and still have our family and friends close to us.
5. What countries did you visit?
Besides some travelling around South Africa, I did get to Botswana at the beginning of the year.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
For Philip to find a job that makes him happy and gives him job satisfaction!
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day Stacey turned 21! I remember her birth so clearly, and my mother telling me to enjoy her childhood as it goes by so quickly. I thought that was silly “I have her whole life ahead of me!” Her childhood was gone in a heart beat!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Taking on a new portfolio at work and making it work. (International Payments)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Allowing someone to take advantage of me and not give me the support that was due.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious! Dr did discover I have high blood pressure and I am on medication for it now. I think it’s under control. I think a lot of it is stress related!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I didn’t buy it, but Philip did! He bought me a hammock for my birthday! I love it! The best way to relax, with a good book, or just by closing my eyes and swinging softly in the breeze! Best investment!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Stacey and Alex for doing so well in their final exams and for making us VERY proud.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I won’t comment on that one, but I do have someone who disappointed me terribly!
14. Where did most of your money go?
Living expenses – never bought anything really big or expensive.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
About our trip to the Kruger Park – I loved the peace and quiet of it all and I loved the build up – the planning and the trip there! Pity it was over so quickly!
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
I’ve got a feeling – by the Black Eyed Peas
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
• Happier or sadder? Happier
• Thinner or fatter? Fatter
• Richer or poorer? Poorer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Together time with our girls
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Home alone, like Derby and Joan! But we did have a stunning lunch with friends which was really special.
21. How did you spend New Year?
Went out for dinner. NEVER do that again! Restaurants too busy, service bad! Rather plan something quiet at home this year!
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
No! Already in love!
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Anything that involves cooking – loved Justin Bonello’s “Cooked”
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, disappointed in, but not hate!
26. What was the best book you read?
I have gone mad on Martina Cole books and have read 4 in the last 6 weeks! Currently enjoying “Two Women”
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
Chanel #5 – Philip obliged for Christmas – YEAH!
29. What did you want and not get?
To win the Lotto!
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Michael Jackson’s “This is It!”
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 47. We had friends over for a quiet dinner. That’s the best. Spending it with good friends!
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not having to worry about money
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Oh gosh! I am starting to feel rather frumpy! I need a change – not sure how to describe my fashion concept – comfy I guess!
34. What kept you sane?
Spending time in the kitchen
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh no! Long past crushes!!
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Made a lot of friends in the blogging world, which was really special. Best new people, would have to be Michel and Veronique from Belgium.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Not to take my family for granted. We are so blessed to have each other.
40. Quote that sums up your year.
“Live today, because tomorrow isn't promised!”