Thursday, July 10, 2008

... And away they go!!

Saturday, 5th July dawned with none of the expected rain clouds. Got up early and started preparing for Africa's Greatest Horseracing Event held at Greyvill Racecourse. We were collected at 10h30 and taken to the Northwing Suites. Our Suite was RIGHT on the finish line. How divine was that!? Most of the people there were from a financial environment being private bankers, equity dealers so I felt quite at home ... like a little Investec! The food was amazing! As platters were finished, new ones were brought in - all day! Until about 7 in the evening when they brought through huge pots of Sundried Tomatoe and Marscapone soup with whole wheat rolls. Whoever went hungry did so through their own fault! My favourite of coures, was the fact that there was a HUGE solid silver ice bucket, the size of a small bath, filled with Moet Et Chandon! I enjoyed champagne ALL DAY! I have never felt so indulged!

As for the horse racing - the main race was a tie! The crowd gasped in unison as a dead heat was announced. Being on the finish line, I could see that it would go that way. In fact I asked what would happen if there was a tie! Pocket Power (the favourite) and Dancer's Daughter crossed the line - only the second dead-heat in the races' 112 year history. Last time that happened was in 1967!

As for the fashion, there was a theme (which I did not know about by the way!) "Its a shore thing" and the judges on the day were looking for creations that fitted the theme! Pearls and silken thread were a priority - I had the pearls, but not the silken thread!! I thought the fashions were way over the top! Evening wear in broad daylight - not for me, but there was lots of wild fantasy. Even two girls who wore nothing but body paint! Very brave, considering the wind!

And you don't have to be brilliant to back a winner! I picked 1st and 2nd in both the second and third races, and more than doubled my money. Was too busy chatting and enjoying my champers to back in the main race, but I had a whole heap of fun. My brother is wanting to hire a box for the year in 2009 which means we will go again!! I can't wait. It was a FABULOUS day!

No comments: